Happy New Year! In 2020, we suggest that you consider the following marketing ideas for small law firms. Why? Because it is a new year and a new decade. Start it right. Take some time to review your marketing successes and failures. Map out where you are and where you want to go. To help you, we have broken down some marketing ideas for small law firms into several categories.
- Do a marketing analysis to determine where you are excelling and where you need to improve.
- Write down your goals. Keep them simple and achievable.
- Increase revenue by 5%.
- Build a practice in a new area of the law.
- Meet 5 new referral sources.
- Give 2 seminars and publish 3 articles.
- Write down your tactical plan to achieve the goals you outlined above.
- Plan your seminars.
- Write your articles.
- Identify and calendar events to meet referral sources.
- Identify and contact reporters who cover your area of expertise.
- Review your website
- Update content.
- Check for broken links.
- Does it tell a compelling story?
- Does the site effectively communicate to your target audience?
- Improve the site as necessary.
- Social Media
- What channels do you have? We recommend LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Don’t forget your Google Business page. Did you claim it? Are you using it like your other social media channels? You should be.
- If you do not have a content strategy, develop one. It must be consistent, creative, and compelling.
- Review and update.
- Here is a trick – print the bios of three of your competitors. Compare to your bio. How do you rate amongst them? Who would you hire?
- Do you have a media plan which includes the distribution of press releases?
- Create a list of publications in which you wish to appear.
- Identify and connect with reporters and publishers.
- Update your snail mail and email contact lists.
- Create a 2020 plan to communicate with your contacts.
- Be disciplined about adding all new contacts. These can and should include referral sources, clients, potential clients, alumni contacts, experts, family, friends, and anyone else who can send you business or hire you.
- Referrals – Who are they? Know who sends you business and treat them right.
- Do you know who your ideal client is? You should.
- Develop a target list of specific clients that you want to land. Create a plan to get in front of each.
- Develop a client survey and send it to all clients once their matter is complete.
The above are just a few marketing ideas for small law firms. The point is to make a plan based upon your goals. From there, you can determine the right marketing tactics to reach those goals. Before you know it, the promise and excitement of a new year, and decade, will pass. You will get busy with clients and life, letting your marketing and business goals to fall to the side. So, just do it. We can help you create the plan and tactics, and make sure it happens if you need help. Happy New Year!