As legal marketing consultants, we will preach that you must think strategically and have marketing plans – blah, blah, blah. The trouble with marketing plans and firm strategic plans is that much time, energy and money go into creating them. Then, the plans sit on a shelf somewhere, never to get implemented. Here at ESQuisite, we have a slightly different view.
Traditional Marketing Planning
We know you are busy and only care about getting results. The typical planning session goes like this:
- SWOT analysis – write down your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats
- Create goals and objectives
- Create strategies to achieve your goals and objectives
- Implement marketing and business development tactics to execute the strategies
Pretty straightforward stuff, ain’t it? The problem is that this process can take a long time and at the end of the day, not much is actually accomplished. Certainly, valuable information can be gleaned from going through this process and it can be effective. But in the legal industry, it just is not practical. Therefore, we can help you cut through the noise and get to the place you want to be by actually putting your plan into action.
ESQuisite Marketing Planning
- Define your personal mission statement – this is not a corny, typical corporate mission statement. What we mean is to turn the clock forward – when you are done with this legal thing and look back, what do you want to see? There are no wrong answers. For example, I want to make a ton of money, run the law firm, be the best-known mosquito repellent lawyer, and give millions to XYZ charity. You need an idea of where you want to get before you set out to get there.
- Create a time budget. With all the pulls on your time, how much can you really dedicate to non-billable business development and marketing? Certainly, the more time that you have available to build your practice, success will come faster and greater. Whatever, it is, set aside realistic time that you will dedicate to yourself.
- Map out tasks that will get you where you want to be in the time you have available. This is where you need to think and act strategically. Add events, meetings, deadlines, and so forth to your calendar. Hold yourself accountable.
That’s all there is to it. It is a simple formula. On the other hand, you do not need to create a massive document that you will never use. Again, we can help you cut through the noise to focus on things that will get you to where you want to be. Regardless if you want our help, do numbers 1 and 2 above. Above all, put yourself on a realistic journey with simple marketing plans.