Let’s talk real life. What’s your passion? Why did you become a lawyer?
Does your passion align with the practice of law?
For instance, if you are a business lawyer:
- Are you a food lover that can focus your IP work on the food and beverage industry?
- Is CrossFit your passion? Then niche down to the fitness industry.
- Are you a beer lover that can focus your business law on craft brewers?
- Do you have an Instagram dedicated to your dog? Maybe target vet offices and non-profit animal shelters as your target audience.
- Are you a former dentist that can brand yourself as outside general counsel for dental offices?
- If you are an estate planning attorney, target the owners and employees of those industries.
Make More Money
What if your only passion is to make money? HA! We’ve heard that more times than we can count.
Wall Street — Carl Fox: “Money’s only something you need in case you don’t die tomorrow.”
So, how do you turn your passion for money in the bank into a reality?
Most people with a passion (be it CrossFit or Craft Beer) make time for it. So, you need to make time to make money.
- Make time and a plan.
- Invest in yourself.
- Stop being “too busy” – this is a commitment to your plan.
- Pay attention.
Let’s talk about your marketing plan. As an attorney you have limited time (damn billable hour), so let’s make the most of it.
There’s no one-size-fits-all marketing plan. Why? Because everyone is different.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses? If you are a strong public speaker, get some speaking gigs. If you are a terrible writer, let’s not put blogging in your marketing plan.
- Stay true to yourself. We once worked with an associate who was what his stuffy partners called, a little rough around the edges. They saw promise in this young associate, but wanted him to become a polished, golf club member, and lose his fun and snarky side. We had his back because everyone can see through someone pretending to be something they are not.
- What do you like to do? If you hate golf, don’t plan meetings over golf. If you are watching what you eat, don’t schedule lunches and dinners.
Once you have thought about this, get our legal marketing toolkit for everything you need to turn your passion into a payday!